Saturday, 7 May 2011

The only way is...Lauren's Way



Everything screamed to me I shouldn't like this product. My better judgement told me that the slightly lurid packaging and the 'celebrity' endorsement was a one-way ticket to a truly dire product. But, it seems, I stand corrected. 
Lauren Goodger, tanned TV star of The Only Way is Essex, has launched her very own tanning range consisting of a lotion and a mousse. I opted to try the lotion as I seem to get along a lot more favourably with lotions rather than mousses. This product, catchily called "Gorgeous Tanning Lotion - Beach Bronze Colour: Dark" (and breathe) comes emblazoned with Lauren's unmistakable pink branding and a pump dispenser. 


Firstly, smell-wise, you are greeted with a fresh kick of cucumber, making a welcome change to the usual overly-sweet aroma of vanilla or marzipan. The lotion is thick and extremely dark, a very similar colour and consistency of Xen Tan’s Dark Lotion. It dispenses at quite a leisurely pace from the bottle which I found really helpful as I could moderate the amount I wanted to use. 




Applying this tan was pretty easy and certainly didn’t raise any problems that I haven’t encountered before with other fake tans. As you are all aware, it is essential to exfoliate well before fake tanning, paying special attention to dry patches on your elbows and knees. Lauren’s Way tan is very dark and dries almost instantly, meaning it will latch on to any dry areas and stay there…as I well discovered the first time I used it. The lotion does dry very quickly once applied onto your skin so you need to be liberal and work speedily to avoid it streaking. It is a tan that is suited to the more experienced tanner! I never use a tanning mitt or gloves when I fake tan, mainly because I have never found one I think is any good. So if you happen to know any good ones, do let me know. I just used my hands, which I always lightly moisturise before applying the tan, just so it creates a slight barrier between your skin and the lotion. I am pleased to say that the tan washed off my hands absolutely fine, and didn’t leave any staining or orange-hand-syndrome!



1. Pretty pasty
2. Applying the tan
3. Instant colour after one application
4. Developed colour after 12 hours



The reason I love this tan so much, and I really do love it, is that it gives you an instant golden colour, which then develops into a really dark tan. This makes it perfect for a last minute application, if you are heading out and can’t quite bear to expose the world to your pasty legs. I have only ever needed one application of this tan. I would be fearsome to apply another layer as I think, dare I say, it would be TOO dark, even by my standards. It is probably the darkest tan I have used to date. The longevity of the tan is pretty average and comparable to other fake tans, 2-3 days and then it starts going patchy and needs a good scrub off.

I would recommend this tan to those who are after an instant colour, and also a tan that will develop and leave you looking very bronzed. If, however, you are after a more natural-looking tan, then I would steer clear of this. Sidestepping many an Essex joke, this tan is a real triumph and is anything but orange. For £15.95, it actually is a very competitive price in this ever-growing faux tanning market. The only thing that I think lets it down is the packaging, which I think sadly markets this product to a mainly younger demographic. This unfortunately alienates a large potential group of customers who would really enjoy this product.

Lauren's Way consists of two varieties of fake tanning products...
Gorgeous Self Tanning Bronzing Mousse - £17.95
Gorgeous Tanning Lotion, Beach Bronze Colour: Dark - £15.95

The range can be purchased from Lauren's facebook page or her official website.


This tan, in one word, is REEM!

30 comments:

Catherine said...

What a gorgeous colour - & so natural too (considering it's a fake tan) x I'm really tempted to try this! :) x

Catherine x

Sarah said...

oh MY GOD, that is SO dark! The 2nd picture scared me! I've been wondering about this though so thanks for the review!!

I'd LOVE to try it but I always worry about my face - I don't want to buy new make up, haha! xx

Louise - Freckled Elle said...

At first I thought the 1st photo was the tanned one! Those last two photos look soo dark and definitely wouldn't suit me (Pale Ginger). I agree, when I first heard about this product I thought it was going to be awful but I've read good reviews x

Victoria said...

I reeally want to try this. Have heard really good reviews and I love Lauren.x

charlotteloves said...

oo that looks AMAZING and a good price too..i've just purchased, can't wait to try it out!

Kirsten said...

great review. too bad they dont sell in Australia :(

Phibster said...

BRILLIANT review. Haven't read anything negative about this yet, I really want to try it.

Jess L. said...

i think Lauren spelt her website wrong on the pamphlet (note the extra 's' behind 'lauren' and the misspelt word 'offcial')... :P

Cherry said...

I'm not really a fake-tan person but I've heard nothing but good things about this product.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Melissa said...

Wow that looks gorgeous :) very impressive!!
xx

beautiful.dirty.rich said...

This is such a nice colour! & it looks so even! Can I just ask..are the pictures of your leg? Whenever I put fake tan on my legs (with the exception of Dove Summer Glow) it kinda catches in my hair follicles and makes me legs look really stubbly when they're completely smooth! Exfoliating after I've applied the fake tan helps but I still get the dark dots. Is there any way that I can avoid this do you know? xx

Milly said...

thank you for your comments girls.

@Jess L - ha, well noticed! that's a bit embarrassing...

@beautiful.dirty.rich - thanks for your comment, and i know what you mean. These pics are of my thigh, but I do get those little dark dots on my lower legs. I find not applying tan straight after shaving helps, but waiting a day or so, so the tan does not so readily catch the follicles. Maybe mixing a bit of moisturiser in with the tan might help too, lightening the colour and making it glide over your skin more.

x

l said...

i'm not really a fake tan person but i wanted to reply to beautiful.dirty.rich's comment - i've heard those dots are due to hear opening your pores and the tan getting into them. apparently if you make your legs pretty cold before apply the tan, it helps to reduce the dots
may be something to try :)

Anonymous said...

I'm always quite wary of fake tan just because I'm pale, so I stick to the gradual tanner things, which give me streakiness if I apply too much.

I wish there was a simple solution for pale people like me!

Karla said...

Hmmm I might have to try this, it's a fab result.

And in reply to beautiful.dirty.rich I normally epilate and then tan which is looks fine but when I shave and then tan I get the stubble look

x

Ma garde-robe bleue said...

I really like your blog! I leave mine, I just created it, so if you want to you can see and follow if you like it and comment it! thanks! http://lagarderobebleue.blogspot.com/

crowleyancanto said...

That's quite a natural looking result...does it leave any staining? I've yet to try one of these tan products that doesn't wind up transferring onto clothing (at all kinds of price points).

Claire said...

Ha-good post! I would actually be tempted to give this a go. The colour looks good on you! It just goes to show...you shouldn't judge a product by it's packaging! ;) xx

Hayley said...

I really like the instant colour, but i think the developed colour will be far too dark for my vampire like skin :( looks gorgeous on you though :)

The packaging doesn't impress me though xx

Mademoiselle Lala said...

I had no idea that Lauren has her own fake tan line! But it's only natural for her to do it.

This fake tan is so dark! Not for me, but I'll let my friend know about it.

http://mademoiselle-la-la.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I was so put off from buying this but I'm certainly tempted now. It's given you a beautiful golden glow! It's a shame it does not last very long though, as I'm used to my St Tropez lasting at least 6 days.

Holly ♥ said...

Great review, thanks Milly x

Holly ♥ said...

Forgot to ask...what was the smell like as the tan developed/the next day? Some are deceptive and smell great initially, but after a while the tell-tale smell develops. Any joy on the scent-front with this product?x

Milly said...

@Holly - hi Holly, thank you for your comment. Once I had washed the tan off the following day, it really didn't smell of anything. It is definitely the least 'smelly' tan I have used! xx

Holly ♥ said...

Well that has sealed the deal for me! Thanks Milly x

creative silver said...

HI LAUREN, I READ ALL THE REVIEWS ABOUT YOUR TANS SO I BOUGHT THE MOUSSE, I DONT KNOW IF I AM DOING ANYTHING WRONG, BUT WHEN APPLYING IT, IT JUST DRIES TO QUICKLY IT GOES ON STREAKY! I HAVE USED EVERY TAN ON THE MARKET BUT NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, I EXFOLIATE AND ALWAYS MOISTURISE CAN YOU HELP OR SHOULD I JUST BIN IT?

Milly said...

@creative silver - hi there. I am not Lauren I'm afraid, I just have reviewed her tan. I'm sorry, I haven't used the mousse tan so cannot really comment. Sorry to hear that, trying mixing it with some moisturiser maybe? x

Unknown said...

Hiii Ive just discovered your blog and I lovvveee it, will find u on twitter! I have a Q about tanning- when applying lotions do you kind of leave a thick layer on and let it dry ( as in it looks like pic2) or do u really blend and work it in the skin so that its absorbed? sorry if that makes no sense, im a newbie! xx

Milly said...

@unknown - you have to really work it into the skin so it absorbs and then apply another layer if necessary.

thank you

Blogger Templates By pipdig