Sunday, 7 October 2012

crayola crayon art

crayola art
crayola art
crayola art
crayola art
crayola art
crayola art

Simple modern art with crayola crayons!

So I am going a little off piste with this blog post, but considering I always get a positive reaction to my baking posts, I thought I would share with you some of my other homemade creations, starting with this simple crayola art that Rob and I just finished today. In between baking, blogging and working, we are always on the hunt for home improvements and when we saw a picture of this art a few weeks ago, we knew we wanted to give it a go ourselves. Our flat lends itself perfectly to this type of decor with our multi-coloured smeg fridge, Andy Warhol canvases and modern touches, so we knew it would make a great feature for our hallway and couldn't wait to get creative!

To create this crayola art, you will need:
1. a canvas
2. crayola crayons (don't be thrifty and buy pound shop crayons. These won't be wax-based and will not melt. Ever. Trust me..we learnt the hard way!)
3. superglue
4. a hairdyer

The canvas we used was 30" wide by 24" tall and we needed a good four boxes of crayons to fill the width of it. You can arrange your crayons in any which way you like but we opted for a rainbow-like arrangements so we laid them all out first in our colour preference before we started glueing them. This also meant that several of the colours were redundant from the pack which now means we have an abundance of black and brown crayola crayons in our flat! Once you have all your crayons laid out, take your glue and cover one side of the crayons before positioning and sticking it onto the canvas. Continue until you have stuck all your crayons down and then leave for at least 24 hours so the glue can properly set.

24 hours later and you are ready to make some art! The next stage can be quite messy so ensure you cover the floor/nearby walls with newspaper to avoid any wax splashes. We decided to do it on our lino kitchen floor which was the perfect surface as any rogue wax splatters were easily scraped up and disposed off. Switch your hairdryer on to the highest heat setting but the lowest power level and concentrate on a small section at a time. You will notice that some of the colours melt quicker than the others. The dark purples and blues loved the heat, but the pinks and the oranges took a little bit more persuasion. I went through once, melting the crayons to about halfway down the canvas and then went back over them until they began to reach the bottom. It took about 50 minutes of arm ache and devotion to complete the whole canvas.

crayola art
crayola art
crayola art
crayola art

And there we have it, simple, quick and easy modern art! There are so many variations you could do with this type of art, the possibilities are endless. I would quite like to take smaller canvases and create a colour gradient across the wall with different shades of crayons. You could also position them at an angle or even hang the art upside down to give a really modern twist to this colourful creation.

What do you think of my crayola art?

65 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow thats so cool and unique! love it x

Charli said...

Awesome, defiantly want to have a go :) x

Ellie Clark said...

I've seen this alot on pintrest recently and really want to give it a go! Although im not sure I have the patience :Px



http://styleandstarbucks.blogspot.co.uk/

The Buttonboxx said...

Wow!! That's amazing! Xx

The Sunday Girl said...

You did an amazing job! Honestly Millie you are like Mary Poppins "Pratcially perfect in every way", is there anything you can't do! xxx

xchristybx said...

love this! my favourite part is that every time someone asks where you got it, you can say "I made it" :) x

Sophie said...

So cool! x

Helen Louise said...

wow thats incredible!! ive never seen anything like it, i love it so much :O x

justaddicingandsprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

Emily Has Dimples said...

wow!

Jenn said...

Love this!! Would make such a nice gift too i think!! Very creative idea!! love iT!!

www.jennheartsmakeup.blogspot.co.uk

xxx

llrfx said...

Wow, this is such a good idea to add a bit of character to a room! And to have the memories along with it as well.

llrfx.blogspot.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Love crayon art, it's just so cool!xo

Hola Bambi said...

Amazing , I've seen this done before! So so super cool xx

The Freckle Princess said...

oooh i love it, looks fab, such a great post, x

Anonymous said...

never thought of this ! such a good idea! x
thebeautyheroes.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant , saw it a few weeks ago on pinterest and will definitely try it out!
Love your results!!

Abbie said...

It's so gorgeous, Kickthepj did something like this, it always turns out amazing!

thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

laurasallmadeup said...

That is amazing! So unique and colourful :)

Only trouble is I would be upset about melting all those crayons! haha

Laura x
http://laurasallmadeupbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

Lucy said...

This is so cool!! :D x

:: LUCYSLUXE ::

April said...

Never seen anything like this before, looks fab x

http://pamperedpout.blogspot.co.uk

Karolina said...

WOW! You're so creative! I would have never thought of that! :D xx

Anonymous said...

WOW that is mega clever :)

Rebeka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebeka said...

This is a great idea!! And looks really good too :)

www.rebekasbeautyworld.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Awww wow this looks amazing I really want to try it, but haven't a clue where to stick it! Xxxx

kate louise. said...

Slightly speechless here. Amazing beyond words. X

Fleur said...

Definitely want to give this a go! It's such a good idea and looks great :) thank for sharing xo

Tattooed Tealady said...

I've wanted to try this for SO long! I may try make one for my nephew for Christmas with some kind of pattern :) xo

hannah maggs said...

ahhhh milly, this looks amazing, and its so sweet that you did it together :) xx

Veronica said...

My friend who is very crafty did something similar and it turned out amazing!

xx Veronica

Veronica said...

My friend who is very crafty did something similar and it turned out amazing!

xx Veronica

Unknown said...

I love this! Have to give it a try! X

www.momentsunexpected.com

Miss Danielle said...

This looks great!! I'm going to try this when I can, I have any empty hook in my room so would be a good place to hang it :)

Danielle xx

missdanielle.com

Amelia Liana - Liana Beauty said...

Ah I need to do this it's so cool!! xx

Unknown said...

This looks amaaazing!! Definitely going to have to give this a go, although I may try it with a smaller canvas for my teeny tiny student room! X

daniella-r said...

Wow that's such a cool idea and so unusual. Love it!
Daniella x

http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk/

zara c said...

I have seen this on Lauren Conrads crafty creations video on you tube.

Hannah said...

That's awesome! I will definitely have to try this! very creative :)

Sugar And Smile said...

Ooh I love it. Very clever :) x

Osa said...

WOW! Love it!

Unknown said...

OOh, very creative. Not something I would have hanging up on my wall, but still very visually pleasing. Well done!

Jenny xoxo

http://suprajen888.blogspot.co.uk/

Sarirah said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I used to do this when I was younger (in a less artistic way) by melting them down the radiator to create a rainbow. x

Sarah said...

this is quite simply genius!

Unknown said...

I had seen this on Pinterest but always wondered how it was done! Thanks for this Milly!

♥ Miss drifted Snow White

Cat said...

this is AMAZING! i love it... so quirky and fun :) xxx

jennie said...

Ooh it looks amazing! I've seen these popping up on pinterest recently, I love how simple it is and the colours are so pretty!

Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

Unknown said...

oh my freakin' god this is totally rad! I seriously want to try that sometime too!
would you like to follow each other?
A
xx
http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

Victoria - VictoriaWrote said...

Ooh this is so lovely! I saw you post it on twitter and looked for this post straight away when I got on to blogger. Definitely looks worth the arm ache xx

Victoria - VictoriaWrote said...

Ooh this is so lovely! I saw you post it on twitter and looked for this post straight away when I got on to blogger. Definitely looks worth the arm ache xx

Lydia said...

sorry, I don't mean to hate or anything, but this is totally copied from one of Lauren Conrad's Crafty Creations.
You should have mentioned that in your post :(

Style with Substance said...

Wow that's amazing, nice one Milly! x

Milly said...

@Lydia - Hi Lydia, firstly please don't accuse me of stealing anything from anyone. Considering I have never watched one of Lauren Conrad's crafty creations, I am upset you even think I would 'steal' the idea and not credit it. Is it even a video you are referring to, or a blog post? I don't even know but the inspiration came from a picture my boyfriend showed me and I am pretty sure he doesn't watch the LC videos either! I never once said I came up with this idea but if you google crayola art you will see many many pictures, videos and tutorials on how to create this type of art. I really don't think this was Lauren's unique idea. I am upset as I am always very fair when it comes to crediting ideas and inspirations on my blog, so please do not accuse of copying and not saying so!

Thank you.

Claudia said...

Amazing!!!
It would look so nice also with smaller canvas with 2/3 colours combos!
Have to try this! :)
xxx
Claudia
http://claudia-overtherainbow.blogspot.com

Essjay23x said...

Yay, you did a post on it. I love it. Thanks, Milly!!

Anonymous said...

my god, didn't think it will end up as a painting. It's so cool! Haven't seen that before, love your blog by the way <3

Jen said...

Love this! :) xx

jensbrightandbeautiful.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

I have to make this!

Alicia said...

Thats so cool!

badgirlsdontbake.blogspot.co.uk

xx

liloo said...

absolutely brilliant, wow!
liloo/@tsunimee xx

Unknown said...

OMG amazing love it!
Hannah x
www.lovelifeandmakeup.blogspot.com

Walk On The Style Site said...

BRILLIANT!! :-)) how cool is that!! i've never seen that before!! your blog is great and so inspiring! do you want to follow each other on gfc?? Let me know by posting on my blog :-) would be great! :o)

www.walkonthestylesite.blogspot.com

Charlotte said...

That looks amazing! X

Purrincup said...

OMG I want to try this!

Zaynab said...

Wow love this definitely going to try it!!

pinkyliciousvita said...

really awesome!
x

Blogger Templates By pipdig