Being a beauty blogger has meant that over the past five years I have written about skincare more times than I can even begin to imagine. Over the years as my blog has grown, so has my enthusiasm and interest in skincare and I often touch on some of my favourite brands and products to help keep my skin as clear and blemish-free as possible. However I have never delved much deeper than my favourite moisturiser or toner and spoken about skin issues such as acne despite this being a very common problem with many girls and guys today. Fortunately I have never suffered from acne. Yes sure, I have had those bad skin days, never-ending periods of time where my skin just wouldn't behave itself and those annoying pimples and spots would just not leave, but never to a severe scale like some of my friends and family have endured. I have seen first hand how upsetting and confidence-crushing acne and other skin conditions can be and a lot of that frustration can come from the myths and misconceptions surrounding acne and what can actually cause and remedy such skin conditions.
I am certainly no expert when it comes to acne, skincare problems and their solutions but I have gained a little bit of knowledge over the years from the wonderful world of blogging and wanted to share with you some of the facts, myths and tips about acne in a hope that this might help anyone out there suffering too. Acne is most prevalent amongst adolescents and young adults and is characterised by blackheads, whiteheads and pus-filled spots. It affects approximately 80% of people at some point between 11-30 years of age with 60% of those sufferers seeking treatment for their acne, either over the counter or via their GP. The cause of acne is down to the oil-producing glands being particularly sensitive to normal blood level of the testosterone hormone which causes the gland to produce an excess of oil. At the same time, the dead skin cells lining the pores are not shed properly so clog up the follicles. These two effects result in a build-up of oil producing those troublesome whiteheads and blackheads.
There will always be certain myths that surround spots and acne which makes it very difficult for the sufferer to work out what might be the cause and how can a breakout be avoided. For example some say that makeup can cause acne but there is no evidence that this is true. However it is of course advisable to avoid transferring the bacteria around your face by keeping your makeup brushes regularly clean and avoid touching or using your fingers when applying your makeup. Some people fear that acne is contagious but again you cannot catch or pass acne on to another person. Poor hygiene alone doesn't cause blemishes and although good hygiene can prevent outbreaks, you can have too much of a good thing. Too much scrubbing, exfoliating or harsh soaps can actually make your skin worse! Confusing huh?
With Christmas just around the corner I am sure you are keener than ever to ensure you have a clear, blemish-free festive season and get your skin perfect for that Christmas party. Therefore I would love to hear from you if you feel comfortable enough to share your own skin story or maybe some tips or advice you have learnt regarding acne and dealing with skin conditions. Please do share any thoughts you may have on the myths, misconceptions, causes and remedies surrounding acne and hopefully we can all look forward to a #SpotlessXmas. Leave me a message below or tweet me @pinkpixiedoll using the hashtag #SpotlessXmas so I can see your comments.
*sponsored post
4 comments:
Ahhh I had suffered for so long with acne and bad skin that when I was planning my wedding I took serious action - I wrote about my experience here http://www.soyouregettingmarried.com/2012/11/28/how-i-got-clear-skin-before-my-wedding-uk-wedding-blog/ but I would say if your skin is bad, go to your GP first. The lotions and potions can help, but for me it was a whole new skin regime that got rid of mine aged 25.
Phoebe
What I try to teach my children is that it is really an advantage for a good skin if one doesn't touch during the day the face with the own hands :)
xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
International Giveaway: Christmas Surprise with Self Interest
www.dressedwithsoul.com
A combination of oral antibiotics and isotrexin gel has sorted out my troublesome skin - which had been getting worse and worse since my late twenties. And YSL touché éclat foundation never breaks me out.
My skin is always sensitive and oily, but I found that I shouldn't cleanse it too hard especially when removing makeup at night - I only use the Garnier's Micellar Water and then I put on my usual night time skincare routine and I wake up with better skin!
www.angerawrs.co.uk
Post a Comment